Why you can’t connect to VPN Windows 11 and how to solve them?
Windows 11 is a newer version of the Windows operating system. Many of the users upgraded their computers to Windows 11. VPN for Windows 11 helps you to secure your internet browsing. But there is a problem faced by Windows 11 users. The problem is the VPN connection. The reason for not establishing a VPN connection is the Windows Defender firewall.
A VPN works by creating an encrypted tunnel between your device and the remote server. Sometimes you can’t connect to a VPN on Windows 11. For example, when you try to connect to a VPN you may see “The network connection between your computer and the VPN server was interrupted”.
What is a VPN?
VPN’s full form is “Virtual Private Network”. It establishes a secure network for your device when you use public networks. VPNs mask your online identity and encrypt internet traffic.
The encryption process keeps your data secure and encrypted. The data leak risk is very low. No party can detect your data, except you and your receiver. When you use a VPN, you can hide your original IP address. That’s why online journeys are more secure.
How does a VPN work?
A VPN hides your IP address by redirecting it through a secure remote tunnel. When you connect to a VPN, it connects with a VPN host remote server. The internet service provider and third parties can not see which website or URL you accessed.
VPN adds its own encrypted communication via its own features. A VPN secures your connection by establishing a secure connection tunnel between your device and the targeted server. In that case, the VPN sends your data through a secure tunnel so that no one can hack your data.
Technically, a VPN sets up a secure connection instead of a local network like public wifi. The secure tunnel set up a virtual network connection between you and the VPN server and encrypts and protects data from hackers. If you already use an SSL/TLS connection then you are already encrypting your data. But if you also use a VPN service, it can add double encryption to your data security.
Why need a VPN for Windows PC?
VPN is used for a secure internet connection. The internet connection is based on your PC IP address. A VPN provides an encrypted server and hides your IP address from hackers. It also protects the identity and other data from using public or shared wifi. Here are some reasons for using a VPN:
1. Security on public Wifi: nowadays public wifi is so popular. People use the internet at restaurants, public transport, and many more. When you are answering emails at the coffee shop, you don’t know how the internet line is secure.
In that case, using a VPN protects data while you connect your device to a public network. VPN helps you to secure your network by using a secure server connection.
2. Data privacy from your internet service provider: while connected to your home wifi, you are less likely to be attacked by hackers than public wifi. But the data is still in danger. Your ISP can see what, where, and how you browse. The collection and sale of this data to marketers is possible. If you are using a private browsing function it is also dangerous for data breach. A VPN can also help to secure your IP address from your ISP.
3. Access to any content at any place: there is some content on OTT platforms that is restricted by geo-restrictions. In that case, if you want to access that content you must connect to a VPN.
4. Security when working remotely: one of the best features of a VPN is data encryption. It means your data is in a coded format. In that case, if you are working for a USA company. The data leaking percentage is very high. In that case, you must use a VPN to secure your personal data.
5. Data privacy from the apps: there are many apps and services when you install them, they collect user data. For this reason, users don’t know how to leak their data. That is why a user needs a VPN to stop this kind of data breach. By collecting the user data those companies create a marketing campaign
These issues can be disturbing and it prevents you from getting the benefits of VPN for Windows 11.
Windows 11 VPN not working
The recent version of the Windows operating system is Windows 11. Most of the PC, and laptops are using Windows operating system. The update has been released in 2021.
Now Windows 11 is not so perfect yet. One of the main reasons is there is no support VPN for Windows 11. Here are some reasons for not accessing the VPN:
- VPN is blocked by Firewall
- The cached DNS data is outdated.
- Some software is not compatible with VPN.
Why you can’t connect to VPN Windows 11?
There are other reasons for not working VPN for Windows 11. Because of some updates, there are some issues created for Windows 11. That’s why some VPNs are not working correctly. The reasons of you can’t connect to a VPN in Windows 11:
Third-Party applications: antivirus is the main reason for blocking the use of VPN for Windows 11. The third-party programs interfere with the VPN client. It causes VPN connections.
Drivers: A second reason for not functioning the VPN is the network driver from Windows 11. The drivers are not properly optimized to access VPN for Windows 11.
Windows Firewall: Windows firewall blocks the VPN client. The VPN connection failure shows when the firewall blocks the VPN client fully.
How can you manually add and connect to VPN for Windows 11?
When VPN apps do not work on Windows 11, you can try adding a manual connection. In that case, you will need to add a VPN profile in Windows 11 settings. The way to manually add VPN for Windows 11:
- First, press the start button to select the Settings app.
- Nextly, the Network and Internet tab on the left side of Settings.
- Finally, click the VPN navigation option.
- Press Add VPN button
- Fill all VPN connection windows with the required details.
- Then press the Save button
- After that, select the connect options for your VPN service under the Add VPN button.
Easy fixes of connecting VPN for Windows 11
All the time manually adding VPN options is not working properly. In that case, there are some other methods to fix the issue of VPN for Windows 11. The methods are:
Method 1: Update Windows 11
After the release of the Windows 11 version, there are more updates released for fixing issues and bugs. It is a bug for Windows 11. In that case, you can update to Windows 11 to solve this issue.
To update the windows, go to start. Then go to settings and click Windows update. To check the updates click the Check for updates button.
Method 2: Reinstall the drivers
WAN mini ports are an important part of establishing internet connections in Windows 11. You can reinstall the drivers for WAN mini ports.
The steps are:
- Right-click and select Device Manager for opening
- Expand Network adapters
- Right-click the WAN Miniports (PPTP) and select Uninstall device
- Repeat for WAN Miniport (IP) and WAN Miniport (IPv6).
- Restart your computer. Then the system will reinstall the latest versions of these three.
Method 3: Flush DNS
Flush DNS is a good way to solve your internet connection problems. This can reset the IP on your computer.
The steps are:
- Click the search and search for cmd
- Right-click and open cmd as Run as administrator.
- After running that press enter for each code:
- ipconfig /release
- ipconfig /flushdns
- ipconfig /renew
- netsh int ip reset
- netsh winsock reset
- Close the command prompt and restart your computer.
Method 4: Allow VPN in the firewall
One of the main reasons for not establishing a VPN connection is the windows defender firewall problems.
In that case, the VPN for Windows 11 wants to access the firewall for using the VPN connection.
- Go to the control panel and open System and security
- Then go to the windows defender firewall.
- Click the Allow an app or feature through windows defender firewall link from the left panel.
- Click the Allow another app if it is grayed out. You can also click the change settings button and then click allow another app.
- Then check the VPN installation directory and open the .exe file.
- Check private and Public
- Click OK.
Method 5: Update the VPN app
VPN apps update regularly to improve their performance. They also add new servers by adding servers. Most users skip updates. In that case, it will temporarily disable the VPN connection on the PC. you should update the VPN to the latest version.
If you can’t connect to VPN Windows 11 by using this method, you should contact the Microsoft support team.